Monday, September 22, 2008

Losing Control

We have run into a little bit of a problem with Mason the past couple weeks, the problem being we are running out of ways to contain the child. Mason is rapidly developing the skills he needs to get through anything that is meant to stop him from reaching a certain destination. It all began about a month ago when he had a little growth spurt that allowed him to reach door handles. It didn't take him long to learn how to work several different kinds of door knobs including the one on my parents front door and our storm doors. This is great for him because all he really cares about is getting outside to play (where he would live if I allowed it). Basic door knobs are still a barrier, although he turns them, he just doesn't turn them far enough.....yet. Then a few days ago Mason wanted to play in the backyard while I was cooking dinner. Our backyard is completely enclosed with only a waist-high swinging gate that leads to our front yard. I often will let Mason play back there and leave our sliding door open so I can watch him while I cook dinner. This particular day he went in the backyard and immediately pushed his lawn mower to the gait and begged "peeeeess" (please pronouced like peas) for me to open the gait. I told him he had to stay in the backyard. He started whining and pulling on the gate when he reached up and very intentionally pushed open the latch and pulled the gait open all with very little difficulty. I hurried and stopped him and closed the gate again hoping he didn't realize how he'd done it. But he knew. He went right over to the latch and opened it like he had always known how to do it. So much for letting him play in the backyard. The final broken barrier was the most important of all. Yesterday morning at 5:30am while I was still at work, Scott woke to a very loud thump. He ran into Mason room to find him lying on the floor (not crying, just half asleep). He had climbed/fallen out of his crib. I am not quite sure what to do about this. Mason isn't even 17 months old and, in my opinion, is way too young for a toddler bed. But is it too dangerous for me to keep him in his crib if he keeps climbing out? I know that many parents are faced with this so please help!!! How old was your child when you put him/her in a toddler bed? If he could climb out before then how did you stop them? How can I protect Mason from getting hurt (like hitting his head on the dresser or something)? I love watching Mason grow up and watch his curiosity of the world around him. These developments might make my job a little harder, at times, but I don't care at all. I love watching him get excited when he figures things out. Being a mom is truely the light in my life. Now I just need to figure out how to keep my little buddy safe.