Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!

Today I turned the big 2-6 and it was honestly the best birthday I have had in my adult life. I woke up to my sweet little boy jumping on me and saying, "Happy Birthday, MOM!" completely unprompted. It sounds silly, but there was something so special about Mason remembering it was my birthday without us telling him. He made a big deal about my birthday all day and did so many things to make the day special for me. Brynn made me pancakes for breakfast....seriously, she makes pancakes. We help control the mess and help with the griddle so she doesn't burn herself, but she gets everything we need out, puts in the mix and water, stirs, pours, and flips without us telling her what to do next. She's a better mom than I am and I'm lucky to have her.
Then it was time for the real birthday celebration. I got to pull out my snowboard and hit the slopes with Scott. It's been awhile since I've skied or snowboarded....a LONG while. It's been six years since I've flown down the snow covered mountain and oh boy did it feel good. It took almost no time for my body to remember how to carve through the snow and before I knew it I felt 16 again. The best part is I got to share something I have enjoyed doing since I was 5 for the first time with Scott. Honestly, how have we never been skiing together in 6 years? School, work, two pregnancies, and two kids. That's how. But we did it now and it was a blast.
Scott's skiing pose.
My snowboarding pose.

Do we look good or what?

I could have stayed on the mountain all day if I didn't have two darling kiddos waiting at home to finish off my birthday celebrations with balloons and cake, which is exactly what we did.

It was the perfect birthday!

Thanks to my wonderful kids, husband, and parents for making it possible.