Saturday, December 31, 2011

Picture Perfect Christmas

Christmas at our house was perfectly simple and sweet this year.

How couldn't it be when I got to spend it with these cuties. Instead of our usual Christmas Eve jammies we decided to do slippers and sleeping bags this year. Of course the kids had to put their new sleeping bags to good use and have a sleepover with Daddy out in the family room. As they were snuggling up in their sleeping bags to go to sleep, we heard Santa's sleigh bells outside our house (thanks Grandpa Val). It had the desired effect on Mason as he jumped in bed, squeezing his eyes shut and whispered to Brynn, "Hurry, close your eyes and pretend to be asleep!" Brynn on the other hand started crying because she was scared of Santa and didn't want him to come. It was nothing that cuddling up with Daddy on his bed couldn't solve. Soon the kids were sound asleep and Santa did come!

Thankfully,the day I had Miles I had gone out and finished all our Christmas shopping just in case the baby decided to come between then and Christmas.

While "Santa" was setting up Christmas, this little elf decided he wanted to be a part of it and was more wide eyed then we'd ever seen him.

The next morning the fun began. It was so much fun to watch the excitement and joy Brynn and Mason had with each present they opened. Despite Mason's prediction that Miles would hear the wrapping paper and want to open his eyes to see the presents, he was content just to sleep in Grandma's arms. Brynn absolutely loved the doll house Santa brought her.

Mom and Dad did give her the pink helmet she had randomly been asking for and apparently she really did want it because she wore it for most of the day.


Another favorite present was the tea set from Grandma Nancy that has provided hours of entertainment.

Mason was shocked when Santa not only gave him the Optimus Prime sword he had asked for, but also the Optimus Prime Cyberblaster that was a close second on his wish list. He must have been a really good boy this year.

Grandma knows him very well and gave him a real Batman costume to replace the makeshift one he has been using that was a blue dishtowel with eyes cut out of it.


I loved having Christmas on Sunday because we got to take a break in the middle of opening presents and Scott took the kids to church while I stayed home with Miles. Brynn and Mason both loved the musical program they had at church and I'm glad they were able to stop and think about Jesus on Christmas day.

When they got home we finished opening all the presents under the tree and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon being together as a family.

At the end of the day the kids got more presents than they needed, but they loved and appreciated every single one. It has been so great having all the new and exciting toys to keep the kids busy while I still am spending a lot of time feeding and taking care of Miles each day.

Miles had quite the Christmas for someone who had only been around for 6 days. We weren't planning on doing much more than the few presents that Brynn and Mason had already put under the tree for baby brother, but Mason's first response when he found out the baby was coming early was, "He must want a present from Santa." That put the pressure on Santa to bring something. Santa being the practical man he is brought Miles much needed diapers and burp clothes. He left it up to Grandma and Miles' aunts to put cute clothes under the tree for Miles. I could tell Mason felt really bad for Miles and all the boring presents he got. Who would want diapers from Santa?

Scott and I got a Kindle Fire from Santa (aka NuSkin) this year and I look forward to using it during Miles late night feedings. Scott spoiled me as always and put many surprise gifts under the tree for me. He on the other hand was left with only the things he knew about since his was the only shopping I hadn't completed prior to having Miles. I'll make it up to him sometime.

I am so grateful for all we have and the wonderful Christmas we were blessed with. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, too.