Thursday, February 9, 2012

My Big Girl

I was originally going to title this post "My Little Girl" but I immediately heard Brynn's little voice correcting me by saying firmly, "No, I a BIG girl!" as she often does. The last 2 months I feel like I really have watched Brynn go from my little girl to my big girl. In all honesty, she has handled the transition to 3 kids better than any other person in our family. She has taken all the changes in stride and it has brought out the best in her. Since this post is a spotlight on Brynn I'm going to gush about her a bit, okay, a lot. Brynn is such a smart girl. She has already mastered all her upper and lower case letter recognition along with all their sounds. She knows all of her numbers and I don't even know how high she can count. She is always mirroring Mason and pretends like she knows how to read and write. In actuality she is well on her way to writing her name, doing a great B and r, and also can write several other letters. After listening to a book once or twice she wants to read it to you and will recite it back amazingly well. I have realized the secret behind her intelligence is A: she has an incredible memory. She hears something once and it sticks. B: she wants to be just like Mason and he likes teaching her things. I got her registered for preschool next year and she asks me daily if she gets to go yet. Brynn has never been obsessive about things like Mason is, but I would say the thing she likes the most right now is animals. She fills her bed up each night with so many stuffed animals there is hardly enough room for her to squeeze in with them. Her favorite animals are kitties, tigers, doggies, and piggies. She loves going to the Bean Museum and so I can't wait to see her at the zoo with live animals, but she'll have to wait for it to warm up a little.

It's nothing new that Brynn is extremely coordinated. Scott loves her enthusiam for sports and is working on making her a sports fanatic. She loves to play catch but even more to play basketball. She can dribble, shoot, and catch really well. She begs to go to BYU and UVU basketball games and will sit and watch the entire game inserting a little, "Almost" or "Shoot!" at appropriate times. She definitely has a little tom boy in her. On the same note, at times she can be a total girly girl. She loves to have her finger and toe nails painted, but loves to paint mine even more. She has been getting more excited about dress ups, purses, shoes, babies, and princesses as she is playing with friends more, but when it's just her and Mason she will always follow his lead and go for the star wars and transformers. Which brings me to her relationship with Mason. She completely idolizes Mason. She is his little shadow and is always two steps behind him. The best part of my day is watching those two play together. But she's not just a great little sister anymore, she has really grown into her role as a big sister, too. When Miles was first born she didn't mind him, but didn't really give him a whole lot of attention either. The last few weeks she has become much more engaged with Miles. It's like she realized he's here to stay so she better get to know him. She is so sweet with him and gets so excited when he smiles at her or touches her with his flailing arms. Basically what I'm trying to say with all of this is Brynn has turned into the sweetest little girl in the world. There are no terrible twos happening here. One of my biggest concerns right now is making sure Brynn gets enough special attention. I try so hard to take advantage of when Mason is at preschool and Miles is sleeping. Even though it often means giving up my shower that day, I know the time I spend building a snowman with only Brynn is way more worth it. I'll leave you with Brynn's typical goodbye saying, "I love you later, I love you the most!"