Friday, September 7, 2012

School Days

Over the last month we have not only started a new school year, we have started a new chapter of our life. It began on August 14th when Scott started back at BYU full time to get his Masters of Business Administration.  The first three weeks of orientation/school have been intense, but Scott and I are both loving the experience so far. It feels so right this time around and for whatever reason we know waiting these two extra years before starting this journey was the right thing for us.
 On August 28th, Mason started Kindergarten at Scera Park Elementary.  He is in Mrs. Adams AM class.  I cannot even begin to describe how excited and ready for Kindergarten Mason has been.  I on the other hand am still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that he is now in school every single day, even if it is only half day. Mason is already excelling in school.  His teacher told me after his assessment that he is clearly a very strong reader, but more than that his writing skills are some of the best she has ever seen in over 15 years of experience and really set him apart from other students. I'll give his endless hours of coloring credit for that.  After the first week of class Mrs. Adams approached me when I picked him up and said that Mason is the sweetest boy and that if she could custom make her class she would fill it with 25 students just like him. I almost started crying when she said that. You work so hard as a parent to teach your child  how to behave, and lets be honest they rarely model that behavior for you at home, so to hear he is doing well in class just means so much. I was so grateful to Mrs. Adams for going out of her way to tell me that, because I really needed to hear it.

 Last, but not least, on September 5, Brynn started Preschool with Mrs. Young.  Waiting that extra week after Mason started school was very hard for Brynn and every day she would ask how many more days until it was her turn. The night before her preschool open house, when I told Brynn we would be going to Mrs. Young's the next day she got so excited! I have literally never seen her so excited for anything in her entire life. It was no different on her first day of school. I had a cute little preschool outfit all set out for her, but Brynn had plans of her own (see previous post). It took quite a bit of negotiating to get her into the outfit you see below. I used pretty much all my leverage to get her out of Mason's old camo crocs and into any other pair of shoes. She was dead set on wearing this hand-me-down skirt that is a favorite of hers and this was the only shirt I could get her to agree to that even matched.  Not exactly the picture I imagined for her first day of preschool, but it does tell the story of her little personality.  The important thing is she thought she was super cute and was sure all the other little girls would love her skirt.  She got a little nervous as I dropped her off, but came running out with a big smile on her face and said she had a great day.

 We now officially have more members of our family in school than staying home during the day. I know our life that was once filled with outings and play dates will never be the same, but I think we would all agree we're happy with our new routine.