Sunday, January 4, 2015

Winter Sports

Back in December our friends, the Cooks, invited us to go to the ribbon cutting of ConAgra's ice skating rink downtown. We debated whether we should go since two of our kids were starting to get sick, but once the kids heard about it they were so excited there was no way I could say no. I had pretty low expectations going into the night, hoping that the kids would at least last long enough to make it worth the effort of going. It turned out to be one of the funnest nights I have had in a long time. Mason took off without hesitation around the rink and later told us he had contemplated doing a "triple toe" (a little skating jargon he remember from the Olympics), but decided he might not be able to land it. Brynn wasn't the least bit hesitant to try skating on her own but in the end she preferred holding hands to help soften her fall when she got off balance. Miles was happy to just hang from our arms while we pulled him around between our legs, but he sure got excited to see a zamboni in action. As I skated around with blisters forming on my feet and my back aching from bending over Miles I felt genuinely happy for the first times in months. This was just the kind of night I have looked forward to since I started having babies. A night when we didn't have to leave anyone home with a baby-sitter and no one had to sit out because they were too little. We were able to have fun doing something together as a family.


A few weeks later, in Utah, we decided to try our hand at another winter sport...Sledding. We went the day after Christmas when there had been a considerable about of snow, but as you can see from the condition of Cascade hill, we weren't the only ones who had the idea to go sledding. That did stop us all from having a good time going off the jumps others left behind. 






We were two for two and feeling pretty confident going into our third and final winter sport - skiing. This year, my parents decided it was time to teach all of the grandchildren how to ski, so the morning after Grandma's sleepover they took us all (except Andrew, Kendall, and Colson) skiing at Snowbird.  I had high hopes that this was going to be the first of many wonderful family ski trips, but it didn't turn out to be quite as magical as I had dreamed. Skiing can be a little uncomfortable and difficult when you are getting on all of the gear and hiking to the lift, especially with 8 children who are just learning how to ski. Unfortunately one of my children is highly opposed to being uncomfortable or having to do anything that takes effort so he/she, who shall remain nameless, made getting going absolutely miserable for all of us. Scott and I had to spend so much time trying to help said child, that we weren't able to give Miles enough help causing him to loose patience and decide he had had enough and would rather take a nap in the car than ski. So I got to enjoy my much anticipated ski day in the car while Miles slept. After taking his time to warm up and have a good attitude Mason had a blast riding the lift and skiing down the mountain.. until it was time to walk back to the car...then it was all drama again. (oops, so much for the anonymous child). Brynn was partnered up with Grandma for the day and didn't get too adventurous, but had a good time staying close to Grandma. At the end of the day I was super embarrassed and disappointed by how the day had gone for our family and decided the Murrays will be opting out of any future family ski days.





I guess as with anything, you win some and you loose some.