Back at the beginning of February my mom, Whitney, Kacie, and I took off together on a fun girls weekend, in part to celebrate my 30th birthday. It was a very fun and relaxing weekend and just what I needed to break up the long Omaha winter.
I flew out bright and early Friday morning. I have to admit that the 2 hour flight from Omaha to Salt Lake City with just me and my book was one of the best parts of the entire weekend. Being in a quiet airplane with 2 hours of guilt free, uninterrupted time was heavenly. Once in SLC, I met up with my mom and Kacie and we flew the rest of the way to San Diego. The timing worked out perfectly and Whitney pulled into San Diego just in time to pick us up from the airport.
Our main event of the weekend was running in a mermaid series half marathon (a girls only race). I tried really hard in the months prior to get motivated and train for the race, Scott and I even purchased a treadmill for Christmas, but it just didn't happen for me. I was SUPER unprepared for the race and probably should have switched to the 10K with my mom and Kacie, but I decided to give it a go with my only goal being to finish without causing an injury.
The
course was beautiful running along the harbor and out around an island.
Being in a fun race environment reminded me just how much I love
running. Although my end time of 2:14 (20 minutes slower than the last half marathon I ran)
was nothing to brag about, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the
race went for only having run over 3 miles once during my "training". I
was able to run the whole thing, even if at only a 10 minute pace, and
overall felt pretty good until mile 11 when my knees felt like they were
going to explode and my pace slowed WAY down.
Whitney
on the other hand had been diligent with her training and had an
amazing race and set a PR finishing in 2:00.35. (Just a few weeks later
she ran the Phoenix half marathon in under 2 hours.) My mom and Kacie both did great in the 10K. Kacie had a great run despite a strained calf muscle that she's been battling for several months. I was especially proud of my mom. She is a great athlete who will bike and swim for miles and miles without batting an eye, but does not enjoy running at all. Despite that she decided to challenge herself and join us for the race. She trained well for it and did great. At the end of the race she declared that she still dislikes running, but we were all proud of her for doing it.
We filled the rest of the weekend with shopping, eating yummy food, plenty of rest and relaxation, and lots and lots of talking. A huge thanks to all of our husbands for making the necessary sacrifices that allowed us to make this happen. It was a quick trip with us all returning home Sunday evening, but it was just what I needed.
I may have grown up without a sister, but I sure hit the sister-in-law jackpot when my brothers married these girls and we all know I have the best mom in the world. These three ladies are the best sisters a girl could ask for and I'm lucky to have them.
![]() |
| A super yummy and fancy restaurant my mom treated us to. |
| Kacie on tip toes and Whitney and me slouching. |

