Grandma's Sleepover is without a doubt the most anticipated event of the year for my kids. A sleepover with cousins, Grandma calling all the shots with no parents interfering, new matching jammies, honestly what's not to love about it? My mom really went above and beyond planning this year to make sure that each of the different age groups had fun. On top of all the usual traditions of a kid favorites dinner, time in the hot tub, and jumping on the mattresses; my dad took Cannon and Mason bowling, the girls had plenty of time to play alone in 'the brown room' (that was their big request for the night), my mom played games and watched a movie with the little boys, and the babies were doted on and adored by all their cousins. We even avoided any huge meltdowns by any of my kids, so that was a big bonus.
While the kids were away for the night the adults enjoyed a yummy dinner at Outback together. Since Brandon and Whitney were picking up Carson, Chris and Kacie had a neighborhood party they wanted to go to, and we had to check in on Zoey, we all split up to do our own thing after dinner. After stopping to take Zoey out, Scott took me to Luminaria at Thanksgiving Point. I have wanted to go the last couple years, but didn't want to pay the high price to drag whining and complaining kids around in the cold. With it being after Christmas and late at night the crowds were all gone and it felt like we had the place to ourselves. It was so peaceful walking around talking and laughing with my best friend. I especially loved going through the Light of the World exhibit that has the most amazing statues of the Saviors life. The spirit was so strong as we walked through the displays and I like to think I felt Ellie a little closer to us while we were there, too. It was amazing the contrast we felt as we left the Light of the World with it's calming peace and spirit and re-entered Luminaria with it's bright lights and loud Christmas music. It was a very obvious contrast between a Christ centered Christmas and the world's Christmas. The whole night was absolutely perfect. I am finding more and more that the opportunities I have to step away from the noise and chaos of the world recharges my battery so much more than watching shows or going to movies or surrounding myself with groups of people. I hope to be able to set aside more time this next year for quiet reflection and meditation because I am learning how much I benefit from it.
The next morning we picked up the kids and on the drive home they were already talking about how excited they are for next year's Grandma's Sleepover.