I was sitting here at work doing my charting like a good nurse when I realized that in just a few short hours it will be June 1st and I am now a little nervous. You see, my family doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to June 1st.... you might even go as far as to say we are cursed.
Let me start at the beginning.
*June 1, 1999 -- My parents left that morning for a 7 day trip leaving us 3 kids at home with Chris in charge. Life couldn't get any better....until Brandon had to ruin it all by getting hit in the face by a line drive and breaking several bones around his eye. Mom came home and Brandon had surgery to put metal plates in his face. The doctor limited Brandon's activities for a year while the plates took root. So when the next June 1st came around Brandon had it marked on the calendar as the year mark when all restrictions would be lifted.
*June 1, 2000 -- To celebrate his new found freedom he took the stage on the trampoline at a party and was wowing the crowds with his double front flips off his knees. It was very impressive until he didn't quite make the final rotation and his mouth went crashing into his knee, knocking his two front teeth out but not until after they had bitten completely through his tongue leaving a hanging chunk. Luckily our dentist lived across the street and was summoned at midnight to save the teeth. The tongue was repaired and the teeth were put back in (no thanks to dental assistant Val sucking the teeth up the suction wand), but it has resulted in quite a few dental visits for Brandon over the years.
*June 1, 2001 -- This year Brandon decided to stay at home and play it safe, but that didn't stop me from carrying on the tradition. I was in the car with some girlfriends driving to meet up with our other friends. As we were driving down the road we saw them coming the opposite direction. Our driver swerved over to get their attention but their driver was looking down at the radio. The next few seconds is all a blur but pretty much we had an unplanned game of chicken where no one chickened and we were in a head-on collision. No one had any major injuries just some whiplash and airbag injuries which was VERY lucky. I just got bruised pretty good from my seatbelt. Three years in a row made it seem like more than just a coincidence that these things all happened on June 1.
*June 1, 2002 -- This year's accident actually began on the night of May 31. I was up in SLC hanging out with some of my friends. It was really late and I ran one of my friends home. I went in the house with him for just a few minutes leaving my car running in neutral with the parking break on. When I came back outside my car was gone. I could not figure out where it was until I walked out in the road and saw it down the hill sticking out of someone's garage....the parking break had gone out. Of course it had to be a sweet old couple's house who was asleep in bed when they heard the crash and came out. Not only did it ruin their garage but it hit the car in the garage. It wasn't until after I had gone in their house and called my mom that I realized it was 12:30am and technically June 1. What a horrible experience!!
*June 1, 2003 -- This year's accident didn't actually happen on June 1, it was 5 days earlier. I was rollerblading on 800 E. when a dog decided to attack me and I got a chunk taken out of my leg resulting in stitches, a tetnus shot, and one difficult situation with the owners. I am pretty sure my mom spent most of June 1 on the phone with the dog's owners trying to get them to pay for my ER visit (their home owners insurance wouldn't pay unless they put the dog to sleep and they didn't want to, but they didn't want to pay out of pocket either, so they made it all really difficult).
*June 1, 2004 -- This was the year we realized the true power of the curse when it reached out of our immediate family and got my boyfriend...Scott. I thought we might have made it through the day without an incident when I got a call from Scott at about 11:30 saying he might have a broken wrist (ward basketball). I went to the ER with him and sure enough it was broken and Scott got to sport a nice brace for 6 weeks. The June 1 curse pretty much sealed Scott into the family.
*June 1, 2005 -- Cannon was born 2 days earlier. Whew...dodged that bullet. Nothing eventful happened this year.
*June 1, 2006 -- Second year with no incidence.
*June 1, 2007 -- I don't remember anything specifically on June 1st, but I do know that in the week that followed Mason began having some serious constipation issues. I can't say for sure, but I think it is very likely that Mason might have stopped pooping on June 1.
It is obvious that the severity of incidents has greatly decreased the last few years and I am hoping that continues this year. But if there is one thing I have learned about the June 1st Curse it is that you can never get too comfortable. As Workers Compensation says, Be Careful Out There.