| Headed out the door for my last shift on Adult ICU. |
My job as an ICU nurse wasn't always glamorous. I spent my shifts dealing with every kind of nasty body fluid you can imagine (and many you can't imagine), bathing overweight people, fighting confused and combative patients, dealing with crazy families, and many more unpleasant things. But I was also able to use my knowledge and skills to save people who should have died, help ease someone's pain, hold the hand of a dying patient and tenderly take care for their body after passing, or simply give family members the chance to go home and get some sleep while I promised to care for their loved one like they were my own mother or father. I loved it all...the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Not only did I love the work I did, but I loved the people I worked with. When you work beside someone in the ICU it is like going into the trenches with them. You have to have each others' back. I made some pretty incredible friends over the years. So many great memories of Sunday night dinners, laughing until I cried (everything is extremely hilarious at 3am), doing stairs to try and burn off all the junk food we ate, problem solving through some tough clean ups, the list could go on and on. I will forever cherish these friendships.
My job has been such a blessing for our family over the last 9 years. I have worked anywhere from prn hours (2 shifts a month) to full time (3 shifts a week) as our situation has permitted. I strongly believe that having an opportunity to get out of the house and do something I love has made me a better mom when I am home. Because I was always working nights (6pm-6am) my kids hardly knew I was gone and it came at no expense to them. It actually allowed them to build strong and wonderful relationships with Scott and my mom that I don't think would have been the same had I not worked. For 4 year I had the same schedule where I worked every other Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night. The kids looked forward to their weekends when Dad was in charge and then on Monday morning they got to go to Grandma's house to play in the morning while I got a few hours of sleep. It worked out perfectly. I can hardly think of a time (besides when Brynn was a baby) that any of the kids were upset when I left to work. I can, however, remember several times I was put on call or cancelled that my kids would cry and whine in protest that I was going to ruin their party with Dad and they wouldn't get to go to Grandma's to play in the morning. I chose to be a nurse because I knew it would allow me to be the kind of mother I wanted to be. What I didn't know was choosing to be a nurse allowed me to be the kind of mother I needed to be for Ellie. I cannot even begin to explain what a blessing my experience and knowledge has been while we have been caring for Ellie. While the majority of the time I was working we were not relying on my income, there came a time when circumstances changed and Scott went back to graduate school that I was able to step up and provide for our family so we could avoid debt. When I look back on all the sacrifices it required for me to become a nurse (quitting volleyball, working a lot more than playing the first 3 years of marriage, taking my physiology final the night before our wedding, starting back in class and clinicals 5 days after having my first baby, etc.) it was all worth it.
I still cannot believe that after nearly 9 years of working on the Adult ICU (formerly IMC) I am done. I will never get dressed in my blue scrubs and kiss my family goodnight. I will never walk down the hall straining my eyes to see the assignment board to see what fun I am getting into for the next 12 hours. I will never sit in the core eating chicken strips and fries and laughing with my friends. I will never stumble out to my car in the morning exhausted and then pull into my driveway wondering how I made it home. I am going to miss it, that is for sure.