If I had to describe the month of June in two words they would be HOT and HUMID!! Now I know I was 9 months pregnant and carrying my own personal, internal furnace around, but I think anyone would agree that with temps in the high 90s and humidity of 60-80% it was pretty miserable. Twice a week we would start off the day by going to the kids tennis lessons. Since Mason was now in the older group that meant I got to sit through not one but two tennis lessons in the heat and humidity (yes, even at 9 am it was miserable). I don't mean to sound negative because I love keeping busy with the kids and providing them with fun opportunities like this, but it got to be pretty miserable for me. Monday - Thursday we would take Mason and Brynn to swim team where they got to cool down in the water as Miles and I roasted in the sun watching them. Did I mention it was extremely hot and humid? It got to the point that I just couldn't take it anymore and Miles and I would drop the kids off then go get drinks and slushies from Sonic and wait in the air conditioned car until swim team was over.
As we began our third summer in Omaha it was fun to have activities that we all looked forward to repeating. This year was even better because our neighbors and best friends, the Meeks, had a nanny instead of going to daycare so they were home during the day to play with and join us on many of our excursions. One of the things at the top of our summer bucket list was going to Bellvue Farms for their annual strawberry picking. We learned to go the first week instead of the last to get better strawberries. The kids loved finding and picking the biggest and juiciest strawberries they could find. They each filled their bucket with more strawberries than we could ever eat and then we went home and made our traditional homemade strawberry ice cream with them. We took a trip to the Children's museum per Brynn and Miles' request and despite Mason's protests (such a sad day for me - my boy has outgrown the children's museum). We were able to gain his cooperation by promising a trip to the big downtown slides after which is always a favorite. We visited the beach at Freemont Lakes with some of our friends and were even lucky enough to have Scott slip away from work for the day to join us. I was grateful to have him there since I felt like a beached whale and didn't want to do anything other than bask in the sun.
With the baby just a few weeks away I really did try to be productive around the yard and house, but the heat often got to be too much and we would just end up at the pool, which was the only place I felt even the slightest bit comfortable in my hugeness. When we weren't at the pool then the kids were hosting water parties for all of their friends in our backyard. I really think it might be their favorite activity of the summer.
With the baby just a few weeks away I really did try to be productive around the yard and house, but the heat often got to be too much and we would just end up at the pool, which was the only place I felt even the slightest bit comfortable in my hugeness. When we weren't at the pool then the kids were hosting water parties for all of their friends in our backyard. I really think it might be their favorite activity of the summer.
I enjoyed and appreciated spending the evenings sitting on the front porch with my feet up watching the kids bike, rollerblade, and longboard down the hill not needing any hands-on assistance from me. I knew that was all going to change with the addition of a baby and didn't take a moment of it for granted.
Those are a few of the highlight of our summer B.C.
Those are a few of the highlight of our summer B.C.