Thursday, May 25, 2017

Spring Soccer

This is what Spring Soccer in Utah looks like. Most of the games are rainy, windy, and cold. But that didn't stop us from bundling up and cheering on our soccer players - even if sometimes it was from the car in the parking lot.


Brynn and Andlie Allen

Brynn and Miles finished the spring season with their teams from Orem. Going back and forth to Orem for games and practices definitely wasn't as convenient as having them right down the street last fall, but it was totally worth it for them to play with their friends.

Miles once again had a great season. He scored more goals than I could keep track of each game. One game when it was extra rainy and cold I parked the car where I could see the field and stayed in the car with Ryan while Scott and my mom endured the elements to sit on the sideline. Miles was worried I would miss his goals so I told him I would honk every time he scored a goal. That was quite possibly the highlight of his whole season.



 At the end of the season we had a big decision to make in regards to what level Brynn was going to play at next year. During her spring games several coaches/parents approached us asking if she was going to try out for a competition team for the next season. Several of the coaches wanted her to come play on their team. After a lot of thought and weighing all the pros and cons with Brynn she decided she would rather continue playing in the rec league with her friends at Cascade on Coach Matt's team (which is a great little team with excellent coaching) and not be on a team that would require year round commitment and limit her ability to participate in other sports such as basketball, volleyball, and softball. I was so glad she felt this way because I feel like forcing kids to specialize in one sport this young is doing them a huge disservice and leads to burnout when it really counts. Scott and I are both excited to see is soccer does turn out to be a sport Brynn chooses to focus on eventually because she is good little player.


The White Snowflakes
Brynn and Miles weren't our only soccer players this Spring. 3 years ago Mason hung up his shin guards and soccer cleats deciding it wasn't the sport for him. He changed his mind this year after switching to Legacy and making friends with a couple boys who are avid soccer players. I was thrilled to find out that neither of them played on club teams for the same reasons we don't have our kids involved in club sports yet, and they were playing on an AF rec team. With a little negotiating with the rec department I was able to get Mason on their team for the spring season. Even after a 3 year hiatus, Mason was a great player. They mostly had him be one of the team's forwards and he was one of the leading scorers. It was a lot of fun watching him play.



As fun as soccer season is, it sure is exhausting.