Wednesday, March 5, 2008

NCLEX

This morning was the first time in a while I have had to set my alarm clock. These days I usually just wake up when my rooster crows (Mason). But this morning I had to wake up bright and early to take the NCLEX-RN in Salt Lake. For those of you unfamiliar with this acronym (Scott tells me I use too many nursing acronyms and expect people to follow what I'm saying) it stands for National Council Licensure Exam-Registered Nurse aka my nursing boards. I have done approximately 3,000-4,000 practice questions since August preparing for this test as well as reviewing specific medications and disease processes. (Just for the record I didn't really use the NCLEX for dummies book I just thought it made a nice image) The NCLEX is a Computerized Adaptive Test which means it asks you a question, if you get it right the next one is harder if you get it wrong the next one is easier and it keeps going until you achieve an average level consitantly and then it determines if that level is higher than the set standard or not. It will give you the most opportunity it can to get above the standard. You get a minimum of 75 questions and a maximum of 265 with 6 hours to take it. I felt pretty good about how I was doing and then my test turned off after the 75th question. This means either I did really well and was far enough above the passing level after 75 questions it could determine I was competent or I totally bombed it and was so far below the passing level there was no way I could pass. I am definitely hoping for the prior. If I did pass my license should be posted on DOPL (Department of Professional Licensing) within a week. I'll let you know.