
When Mason was a baby he sometimes had a hard time falling asleep because his little hands would want to grasp everything he could reach. I read in a book that it might help him to have a "securtiy item" that he could stroke and hold while falling asleep. So we tried a teddy bear, but instead of cuddling it he would wrestle with it. Next we tried a blanket with different textures for him to feel, but he had something entirely different in mind. One night while reaching and grasping, his little fingers wrapped around something that was soft and tickled his hands as he twirled it in his fingers, yes he found my hair. Since then he's been hooked and as soon as I start rocking him to sleep his fingers are twirling and grabbing my hair. At first I found this to be a strange habit until my mom reminded me that when I was little girl I would twirl my hair to go to sleep. I thought it might stop when I decided to cut my hair off in January, but I couldn't have been more wrong. He now loves playing with my hair more than ever. Since rocking Mason to sleep every night is a favorite part of my day, I don't really care that he relies on my hair to fall asleep. It does, however, make things a little more difficult for Scott on the 2 nights a week I work when he must put Mason to bed without the hair. Once while Scott was rocking him, Mason was reaching trying to find hair and his hand slipped up Scott's t-shirt sleeve and found his armpit hair. He began twirling and pulling on it....needless to say Scott did not think this was a satisfactory solution to the problem. I have been trying to figure out how to give Mason hair to hold while I am gone. At first I thought about cutting off some of my hair and making some type of pony tail of my hair for him, but then I thought about my child cuddling with a hair ball and realized that was a disgusting and slightly disturbing idea. I jokingly pitched the idea of getting a wig for Scott to wear...Scott vetoed that idea. Then there was the idea to get Mason a doll that had life-like hair he could twirl....once again, it just doesn't quite seem right. So for the time being Scott just rocks him a little bit longer until he finally gives up looking for hair to grab. The most amazing thing for me is that even though it is faster and sometimes easier for me to rock Mason to sleep, if I ever ask Scott to put him to bed (whether at 8pm or 2am), Scott never hesitates at all. He such a wonderful husband and father!! Since the day Mason was born Scott has had more responsibility for Mason than most new dads get. I had to go back to school when Mason was less than a week old so Scott took a paternity leave from work and assumed full responsibility of Mason on the days I was gone. He bathed him, dressed him, changed him, fed him, and played with him all on his own. It hasn't always been easy like when Mason decided he didn't like bottles and Scott had to feed him through the fighting or like now with the hair issue. Scott never complains and aways does such a wonderful job taking care of Mason. I am so glad I am married to someone who is such an involved father and who sacrifices so I can do something I love and still be at home all day with Mason. In my eyes he is the world's greatest dad.

This was the day we brought Mason home from the hospital. They have been best buds since then!