Thursday, April 3, 2008
Books, Books, Books!!!!!
When I was a little girl my dad called me his reading machine. This nickname came from my obsession with reading that started before I could actually read. Starting as young as I can remember my mom would sit out in the hall between my brothers' and my room at bedtime and read us a book. We would read a chapter every night. I LOVED IT!! I would much rather be read to then watch a movie. I learned how to read very young and then never stopped reading. I have always been a "one sitting" reader, meaning I usually end up starting and finishing a book in one sitting. It's not that I am a particularly fast reader, I just get sucked in and can't put it down. Since I rarely in my life have had a day that would allow hours of reading at once I've always preferred to do most of my reading at night. Nothing compares to being curled up in my favorite reading spot with a lamp on and the rest of the world turned off. It becomes just me and the characters. Well I have enjoyed very little guilt-free reading the past 4 1/2 years while I have been in school. I just couldn't afford to spend time reading leisurely material because I had so much else to do. Even after I graduated I couldn't enjoy a book because I knew I should be studying for my boards. But for the last month I have enjoyed some of the most splendid reading. It feels like I have been reunited with an old friend. I started out pacing myself well reading a book about every week, but just the last 2 weeks my passion is getting a little out of control. I have been reading approximately a book every day and a half. One might ask, where do you find the time to read so much with an 11 month old, are you a horrible mother, do you ignore him for your own pleasure....most definitely not!! This is where the problem is. I only read when Mason is asleep (excluding the time I spend every day reading Mason his books), which is also the time I get ready, do housework, and anything else for myself. So I have let my house fall apart: sink full of dishes, cupboards empty, laudry baskets full of clothes, drawers and closets empty. Okay it's really not that bad because Scott is still a functioning human, but it's not great. The real sacrifice has been sleep. I have not gone to bed before 3am once this week because I can't put my book down. I am just waiting for Scott to start enforcing a book curfew. So why have I been rambling on in this long boring post that no one really cares about....because I need some new ideas for books to read. I am open to pretty much any genre although I'm kind of in a Fiction rather than Non-fiction mood right now. I particularly like books in series so after I become attached to a character I can follow them for a least a couple of books. PLEASE!!! Let me know of any great book you have ever read.....even if you think I have probably read it...because maybe I haven't. I am thinking about copying my friend Natalie by posting my current read on this blog and maybe rating the books. I hope to hear from lots of people so I can go hit the library!