Last night we got to make our first trip to the Emergency Room with Mason. It all started when Scott and I were getting into bed around midnight and Mason began making some noise. We listened to see if he would go back to sleep but I kept hear him make a wheezy, gasping kind of noise so I hurried in him room to see what was happening. Sure enough when I got in there he was wheezing pretty bad. It sounded to me like he was having an asthma attack. We have suspected Mason has asthma since he was about 6 months because when he gets really active he wheezes a little, but it never has been this bad. Scott and I woke him up all the way and Scott sat and read books with him to try and calm down his breathing a little. When it didn't get any better after 30-45 minutes I called the pediatrican office and they told me I needed to take him to the ER to been seen and possibly get a respiratory treatment. So Mason and I packed up and left for the hospital. Of course Scott was planning on going with us but I forced him to stay home and try to get some sleep. I knew Mason was fine, he just needed a respiratory treatment, but I also knew there was a good chance we'd spend most of the night waiting in the ER and I didn't think it was necessary for both of us to miss out on a night's sleep. So Mason and I went to the ER. Mason was such a good boy the whole time, he never cried or fought the doctors and nurses who looked at him. The doctor decided it was not asthma, but that he has croup, which I thought was odd because he hasn't acted sick at all... no runny nose, no fever, no fussiness, and most of all no cough. But the doctor was 100% positive it was croup. So they gave him an anti-inflammatory medication to help his constricted airway and said that was all that could be done because it is a virus. I was satisfied with that because by this point Mason was sounding much better and was just wanting to go to sleep. So we came home to find Scott still awake waiting for us. Mason went right to sleep and slept the rest of the night. He has been his normal, happy self all day today, just still a little wheezy with his breathing. I knew that our first ER visit would have to happen sometime, and I must say it wasn't too bad. I just hope we don't have to do it again anytime soon.
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
ER Visit
Last night we got to make our first trip to the Emergency Room with Mason. It all started when Scott and I were getting into bed around midnight and Mason began making some noise. We listened to see if he would go back to sleep but I kept hear him make a wheezy, gasping kind of noise so I hurried in him room to see what was happening. Sure enough when I got in there he was wheezing pretty bad. It sounded to me like he was having an asthma attack. We have suspected Mason has asthma since he was about 6 months because when he gets really active he wheezes a little, but it never has been this bad. Scott and I woke him up all the way and Scott sat and read books with him to try and calm down his breathing a little. When it didn't get any better after 30-45 minutes I called the pediatrican office and they told me I needed to take him to the ER to been seen and possibly get a respiratory treatment. So Mason and I packed up and left for the hospital. Of course Scott was planning on going with us but I forced him to stay home and try to get some sleep. I knew Mason was fine, he just needed a respiratory treatment, but I also knew there was a good chance we'd spend most of the night waiting in the ER and I didn't think it was necessary for both of us to miss out on a night's sleep. So Mason and I went to the ER. Mason was such a good boy the whole time, he never cried or fought the doctors and nurses who looked at him. The doctor decided it was not asthma, but that he has croup, which I thought was odd because he hasn't acted sick at all... no runny nose, no fever, no fussiness, and most of all no cough. But the doctor was 100% positive it was croup. So they gave him an anti-inflammatory medication to help his constricted airway and said that was all that could be done because it is a virus. I was satisfied with that because by this point Mason was sounding much better and was just wanting to go to sleep. So we came home to find Scott still awake waiting for us. Mason went right to sleep and slept the rest of the night. He has been his normal, happy self all day today, just still a little wheezy with his breathing. I knew that our first ER visit would have to happen sometime, and I must say it wasn't too bad. I just hope we don't have to do it again anytime soon.