Sunday, June 14, 2009
Just a Drill!!
Some of you might have heard I was having a baby yesterday. Well, turns out it was just a drill. Friday night as I was putting Mason to bed I started having some contractions that were stronger and more painful than the Braxton Hix contractions I often have. After he was in bed I started a movie and laid down to rest. Pretty soon I felt like I was having one contraction after another and they were growing in strength so I decided to start timing them. They were lasting 45 seconds and 2 1/2 minutes apart consistently for an hour. By this time it was 11pm. I called Scott who of coarse was in Park City all weekend for work. I let him know what was happening and that he might want to start making plans to get his responsibilities covered for the next day because he could be coming home. I then called my sister-in-law, Kacie, to let her know we might be dropping Mason by later in the night if I needed to go to the hospital (My parents, who normally would have taken him, were in Chicago for the rest of the weekend). At this point I decided to get everything ready to go while I could still move through a contractions. The night passed and the contractions grew stronger and stronger. I couldn't sleep due to the contractions so I just laid in bed and watched TV trying to distract myself. By 6am my contractions had finally reached a strength I decided I better go to the hospital, especially since I would be driving myself. So I woke up Mason and dropped him off with my brother and headed to the hospital. I was dilated to 3 and 80% effaced and the baby was "really low" according to the nurse when I checked in (a little bit of progress since my last appointment 3 days earlier). They monitored me for an hour and then came back to check me. There had to be some change in my cervix for them to admit me. Of course no change had occurred but the nurse informed me the baby had dropped even lower and now my water bag was very tight and would probably break before my cervix changed. The nurse was convinced I was in early labor with how regular and strong my contractions were so she didn't want to send me home. She suggested I stay another hour to be monitored. With her confidence that I would eventually be admitted I finally felt like it was safe for Scott to leave his work and that this was going to be the real thing. Scott joined me just as they checked me again and still no progress. We decided we would go walk around for a while and do some stairs to see if we could pick things up a little. The nurse liked the idea of me not going all the way home and kept telling me not to be afraid to come back and wait too long because once I started to go I would probably go all the way really fast. This once again was encouraging. So Scott and I walked around the hospital for the next hour or so and slowly my contractions started to spread out more and more and become less and less strong until they finally stopped altogether. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?! After 14 hours of contractions every 3 minutes they just stopped (Yep, 9pm-11am). Nothing. Not even a twinge of pain. Needless to say I was very upset because I had accepted the fact that I was having a baby that very day. I had already been in "labor" for longer than my entire labor and delivery with Mason. We went home hoping that maybe things would pick back up, but they never did. So instead of having a baby last night we went to the Orem Summerfest Parade (I was secretly hoping the loud sirens and motorcycles would break my water like they did my friend's last year). Anyway, I'm still here with baby intact and will be for the next week and a half until I am induced. I guess she wasn't quite ready to come after all. Just for the record, although Grandma Nancy was very upset the baby was coming while she was gone, she promises she was not praying for the labor to stop like that.