I was never very big on Halloween until we had kids. I love letting my kids choose what they want to be and then putting together their dream costume for them. This year it was no surprise when the costumes started appearing in the stores, that Mason wanted to be optimus prime. It was by far the easiest costume I've ever done and he absolutely loved it.
Brynn on the other hand proved to be quite a bit more work. What's new? Brynn has never loved dressing up near as much as she loves stripping down and I don't think she really understood when I asked her what she wanted to be for Halloween. I actually told Scott about a month ago that I didn't know if she really cared what she was. HA! Who was I kidding? Brynn not have an opinion? Yeah right!! As Halloween approached she started to understand more. She started with the obvious choice of Minnie Mouse. My sister in law found a $1 deal at a garage sale and I was just going to put some finishing touches on it and we would be good to go. But in the weeks before Halloween Brynn became adamant that she wanted to be Captain Hook. When I would try to sway her back to Minnie she would firmly tell me, "I be Captain Hook!" So I began piecing together a Captain Hook costume for her. But, when the night of our first Halloween Party rolled around and I tried to get her dressed in her costume she was not a happy camper.
"I don't like it!" was all she would say and we didn't even get all the pieces of the costume on before she started pulling it off.
"I don't like it!" was all she would say and we didn't even get all the pieces of the costume on before she started pulling it off.So what did she want to be? Why a transformer of coarse. She put on Mason's costume and was happy as could be, but obviously that wasn't going to work. We suggested she wear her transformer costume from Mason's party, but she didn't want that, either.
No to Minnie, no to Captain Hook, and no to Transformer. What next? The only thing she wanted to wear that night was her piggy jammas. At this point I was just happy to have her dressed.
So when Halloween night rolled around Brynn woke up from her nap in a very agreeable mood and decided that she did in fact want to be Minnie. She enthusiastically put on her costume and started practicing her "Trick or Treat!" Can I just say keeping up with this little girl's mood swings is exhausting. You never know what you're going to get from one minute to the next with this little girl.
This was the first year that we have really and truely done Trick or Treating. We went around the ward with our good friends the McCanns and Ferrins.
So off to our ward party we went with Optimus Prime and a girl in piggy jammas.
We've always carved our pumpkins to match our costumes, but Mason asked if we could make Jack-O-Lanterns this year. You know, the kind with triangle eyes and noses and teeth in their mouth? Scott was more than happy to give up carving optimus prime for a jack-o-lantern face. Brynn's only request was to have a baby pumpkin that she could carry around.