Thursday, January 9, 2014

Miles' Quiet Book

 We've made our way to Miles' book. Miles was the child who I originally intended to make a book for before this blew up into a 4 book project. This book has transformed sacrament meeting from a 1 hour wrestling match into a struggle to keep him from yelling the names and colors of his shape page so loudly...until the last 10 minutes and then it's still a wrestling match...apparently I need to add a few more pages. We don't just use the quiet books for church, though. This has been great for the times I have my hands tied with Ellie. Miles comes and plops down on the floor in her room with his quiet book and does all the activities while we talk about them. There are still plenty of times the ipad is used in this capacity, too, but it's nice to have another non-technological option.

I See Me
by: Ashley Allen
Inspired by: pagebypage2
 So this page originally had a reflective material on it for the mirror. While finishing the page I ironed the back of the page and apparently the heat ruined the material because after it was completed I realized it just looked like dull foil. Oops! So I took the material off and ordered this plastic mirror. Because the page was already sewn together and finished I haven't quite found the best way to attach the mirror and not have it look so awkward. Miles doesn't seem to mind and loves pulling faces in the mirror. Of course we love the BYU pattern as well. I thought that was a cute idea since everyone in the group has a husband attending BYU's MBA program right now.

Caterpillar Counting/Matching Shapes
by: Jen Avery
Inspired by: Jenna's Book
 This is hands down Miles' favorite page! 
The magnets used on the shapes page work really well. Jen used Neodymium magnets which are super small and strong enough to work even through several layers of felt. You just have to make sure the magnets are sewn into the book and pieces in a way they can't come out because these are the kind of magnets that if a kid swallows one it could be a big problem.

Okay, these pages are getting old by now, I know.
 

Zippers
by: Anne Durham
Barn Page
by: Lindsay Miller
Inspired by: serving pink lemonade
 I love how Anne added this little pouch onto the zipper page. I'm thinking of putting some little coins or something fun in there for him to unzip and find.
Of course the barn page is a hit as well.

Mr. Potato Head
by:  Marissa Mortensen
Inspired by: Kayla Danelle

Same old, Same old.


You might have noticed a few similar pages to Ellie's book like the beads, barn, and Mr. Potato Head. Remember that I was in two separate groups, so other people did not get two of the same page for one book.

One more book to go tomorrow and that's Mason's. His has some "older kid" pages that fit his personality perfectly. Can't wait to share them with you.