Thursday, January 2, 2014

Untold Stories

2013 is over and all I can say is good riddance. To put it bluntly it was an awful year. But in an attempt to keep things positive I'm going to share a few untold stories that did put a smile on my face this year.

Eagles Blanket
Last year for Christmas, Mason's cousin got a Denver Broncos blanket that his grandma made him. She made out of orange fleece with the Bronco's logo cut out of patterned fleece and sewn on it.  Mason desperately wanted a Philadelphia Eagles blanket like it.  So one day in January we took him to the fabric store to get the materials to make it. They were all out of the dark green fleece that matches the Eagles' colors, but Mason didn't want to wait any longer to make his blanket so he decided a lighter and brighter green would work just fine.  Then they didn't carry any Philadelphia Eagles printed fleece, but that didn't stop Mason either. He found some patriotic fleece tIhat had bald eagles on it that he decided would be perfect to cut out and sew on his blanket to make it an Eagles blanket.  So we made him a lime green/bald eagle Philadelphia Eagles blanket.  He still uses it every night and has never once thought it was anything less than perfect. I still laugh every night when I tuck him in with his "Eagles" blanket.
Mason and his Philadelphia Eagles blanket
Christmas in August
Brynn always looks forward to getting hand me downs from her cousin Lyndee. The last load we got didn't disappoint. In it there was a pair of Santa jammies.  Brynn fell in love with it and wore the jammies every night...hat and all.  It was a pretty funny get-up anyway, but add to it the fact it was the middle of August and she was quite the sight to see. We got a lot of good laughs from her Santa jammies.


Burning the house down
Two weeks ago all the kiddos were sick so Scott went to church without us. While he was gone the big kids were playing together while I put Ellie down for a nap.  Brynn came in complaining of something that smelled gross. I told her Miles probably had a poopy diaper and I would come change it after I put Ellie down.  It wasn't too much longer before I was hit with an intense burning smell like someone was roasting marshmallows in my house. I ran out of Ellie's room yelling to the kids that something was burning. I entered the kitchen to find that a stack of papers sitting on our cook top was on fire! The bathroom stool in front of the stove made it pretty clear that Miles was the guilty party that had reached up and turned on one of the burners. Our house was filled with a nice thick smokey smell for the rest of the day. Awesome for Ellie's sick lungs. I still laugh every time Miles points to the stove and yells "Fire!" with a proud grin on his face.  I've always said he was going to burn our house down one day.


We are looking forward to 2014 and hoping to make it a better year. 
Here is a small sampling of our goals this year.
Scott -- Graduate with his MBA
Rachel -- Read at least 1 book each month
Mason -- Learn how to tie his shoes (slacker mom here hasn't taught him because he has velcro shoes)
Brynn -- Stay in her bed at night
Miles -- Potty Trained (not planning on doing this until the very end of the year)
Ellie -- Sit on her own (Really hope this happens before her first birthday, but realistically it could be closer to the end of the year)
Happy New Year!