Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Greatest Snow on Earth

The view from the top of the back mountain at Sundance.
Growing up in Utah winter never bothered me. I had skiing, snowboarding, sledding, snow shoeing, bobsleding and skeleton (yes, I was on a team that trained for these in Park City my sophomore year in high school), and plenty of other winter activities and sports to keep me occupied. We do, after all, have the greatest snow on earth here in Utah. Or at least that's what the license plates say. Then I started having kids and winter quickly became a time I dreaded. A time when the walls of my house started to close in and feel like a prison cell. Sure we still had some great moments out in the snow, but those usually only lasted a short time until little fingers started getting cold (because why would a toddler ever keep their gloves on?) Well this year I am happy to report that I am once again a fan of winter. I guess my kids are finally getting old enough to enjoy all that Utah snow has to offer. We didn't have record breaking snowfall by any means, but any day that snow was on the ground the kids would throw on all their snow gear and head outside to play. Each trip outside was followed with mugs of hot chocolate and marshmallows around the kitchen table. At times it felt like snow gears was constantly drapped around the house drying, but I didn't mind at all because so many great memories were being made. 




Scott and I were even able to sneak away for a day and go skiing/snowboarding at Sundance to celebrate our birthdays. It always feels amazing to fly down the mountain and feel like a younger and livelier version of myself rather than the boring mother of four I really am. It was an amazing day.
Revisiting the spot where Scott proposed to me 9 1/2 years ago.
Scott and I weren't the only ones on the slopes this year. Mason got his first ski lesson from Grandpa Val this year. He had a blast and can't wait to get out again. We were hoping to get Brynn out for her first time as well, but at the rate the snow is melting around here, we might not get her out until next year.

All in all we had a pretty fun, snow filled, winter. But you still won't hear any of us complaining about the 60 degree spring temperatures we've started getting a taste of.