Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Toddler Talk

The last week or two I have become painfully aware that Miles is now my baby and that every stage he passes through will be my last time to experience it as a mother. Kind of cool in regards to things like potty training and car seats, but super depressing in regards to everything else.  The days that I can squeeze Miles into the classification of a toddler are numbered and in no way is this more apparent than with his speech. Listening to this kid learn to talk and expand his vocabulary is the best part of my day. He uses so much expression and enthusiasm while communicating that it is impossible not to fall in love with him. I want to write down some of my favorite things about Miles' toddler talk before it is all a distant memory.

He says "I are ..." for everything and I'll admit I rarely correct him because I never want him to stop doing it.

For months he used who, what, where, when, and why interchangeably.  I think he has finally has them straightened out now.

He is definitely the third child and catches me off guard when he repeats things he hears his brother and sister say. For example:

  • He asked for some chips and when I only placed two in front of him he covered his face and said, "You've got to be kidding me!"
  • I was struggling to get his shoes on and he muttered under his breath, "This is so annoying!"
  • When he gets in a particularly grumpy mood he will start yelling, "Stop touching me!" or "Don't look at me!" even when no one is around him.

hangerber = hamburger
melon melon = watermelon
Mc n' donalds = McDonalds
lasterday = yesterday
hopper copter = helicopter
moonkey = monkey and a monkey says ookie aakie ookie aakie

He has mastered the broken record approach to get what he wants. The child literally will not take no for an answer. He will ask for something and if he doesn't get the answer he wants he will ask again, and again, "cam I?"...no..."ahhh, cam I?"....no..."ahhh, cam I?"... you see where this is going. He will not stop until a) he gets what he wants b) he is distracted by something he wants more instead. It's both hilarious and exhausting.

Miles is very complimentary of others. It is not uncommon for him to praise me with comments like, "Mom, you are a good wiper" as I am wiping the counter after lunch. Sometimes they may not sound like compliments like when he says, "You sure are heavy to being carrying a big boy!" as I carry him up the stairs. My favorite was when Ellie was in the hospital and Miles reported to me over the phone, "Dad has been a good helper today."

He loves to read books and has come up with his own titles for some of his books. My personal favorite is his name for There's a Wocket in my Pocket which he enthusiastically calls "Somebody jumped in my PAAAANTS!" (look at the cover of the book if you are wondering why he calls it this.)

I know there is so much more that I can't think of right now and I'm sure I will be coming back to add more over the next few days as I think of more of his classic words and sayings.