Saturday, November 1, 2014

Fall

Out of all the seasons of the year, Fall is one of my favorites. Definitely in the top three. Okay, so really the only season I don't absolutely love is winter, but those cold winter months that force me to bundled up and stay inside help me fully appreciate Spring, Summer, and Fall when they come around again. I'm so grateful that Omaha has the same four distinct seasons I am used to. Our first Fall in Omaha has been pretty good to us. Last week we experienced the most amazing fall weather. The leaves had changed color and were starting to fall and with temperatures in the 70s we spent every second we could outside soaking it all in. On Saturday, all the kids from the neighborhood assembled in our backyard with their rakes in hand and made a big leaf pile at the bottom of our slide. They spent the next hour sliding head first into the pile. It was a wonderful afternoon! I have a feeling this will become a new fall tradition at our house.





Speaking of fall traditions, we have taken a picture of our kids playing in the leaves under our Maple tree in Orem every year since Mason was born (you can see past pictures here, here, here, and here). I was so sad to think this tradition would end after we moved, and decided we would have to continue it under the trees in our new yard. Unfortunately, it is still really hard for me to take pictures of "all my kids" together because it feels so incomplete. I just couldn't bring myself to take a picture without Ellie in it, so we took individual pictures instead.

After I originally posted this post, my mom sent me this picture of Ellie's grave that is beautifully covered in leaves right now. I guess she got a leaf picture after all. Thanks Mom!

This week the temperatures have steadily been dropping and have given us a reality check that winter is right around the corner. We are crossing our fingers that our first Omaha winter will be a mild one.