When I was young my brothers did swim team each summer. By the time I was 5 I wanted so desperately to do swim team with the big kids, not swim lessons like a baby. I begged, I pleaded, I'm sure there was some pouting and tantrum throwing in the mix as well. My mom really wanted me to do one more year of swim lessons, but I refused. So she did what every great mom does and she offered me a bribe. I can't remember the exact details of the negotiations, I just know that the end result was me getting my ears pierced when I was 5 instead of the previously set age of 8 and I completed my final year of swim lessons. The next year I started summer swim team and it was the highlight of my summer each year.
After having to sit through every swim practice and meet last year watching and cheering on Mason, Brynn decided she wanted to be ready to join the team this year. Understanding the feelings of a little sister I told her she would have to work hard over the winter to be ready for the summer, but that I would make sure she had the opportunity to do it. We found a wonderful swim school called Little Waves and she worked hard in her lessons all spring. When summer rolled around I knew it would push her, but felt confident that she was ready to join the swim team with Mason.
This year we opted for the Elkhorn Swim team instead of Zorinsky (I was extremely unimpressed with the coaching last year) and it was the best decision I've ever made. It was a completely different experience and much more like my memories of swim team. Their coach, Abby, was so great with the kids and their strokes improved drastically as well as their endurance and strength.
Mason had a great season where Butterfly continued to be his favorite stroke. This year there were enough boys his age on the team for him to participate in the medley relay each meet, which was probably the highlight for him. In the championship meet their relay team took first and Mason took 6th in backstroke. He was beyond thrilled to get a trophy and a medal!
I could not have been more proud of Brynn. She may not have been the fastest or won the most awards, but even as the youngest and smallest person on her team, she pushed herself her very hardest at every practice and every meet. She has the most beautiful backstroke and a pretty great freestyle as well. She still is working on butterfly and breaststroke, but they will come. She also enjoyed participating on a medley relay.
It was a great summer of swim team and I can't wait for next year.
| Brynn and Claire Perkes |