Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Gifts from the Heart

“When a child gives you a gift, even if it is a rock they just picked up, exude gratitude. It may be the only thing they have to give, and they have chosen to give it to you." - Dean Jackson


I saw this quote the other day and it reminds me so much of Miles. Miles is always bringing me little gifts that may not seem like much, but they are so genuinely from his heart they might as well be solid gold to me.
A classic example was last spring when Scott took the kids to a movie night at their school. I had worked the night before and hadn't slept so I opted to stay home for an early bedtime while he took them to the movie. When they got home Miles came into my room and gave me about 1/4 inch of a piece of his licorice that he had saved to give me. He was so sincere and sweet as he gave it to me. Scott later told me that as they were walking out to the car Miles had tripped and fallen in the street. Scott picked him up quickly and crossed the street since a car was coming. Miles was extremely upset as Scott put him in the car. Through his tears was finally able to explain that he had dropped the piece of licorice he had been saving for me. He wouldn't leave until Scott had gone back and retrieved the tiny little piece from the road. 
Another experience along same lines happened a few months later when everyone went to the College World Series while I stayed home with Ryan. When they walked in the door I recieved another special treat from Miles. He had gotten a bag of cotton candy during the game and before it was gone he took a piece to save for me. He rolled this piece of cotton candy in his hands the rest of the game and the whole ride home. When he walked in the door he proudly presented me with a small, hard, rolled up ball of cotton candy. He was so excited to give it to me that I was half tempted to eat it right then and there, but the other half of me won out and I waited until he wasn't looking and pretended to eat it but really threw it away.
Since then there have been countless times when Miles has come up with some simple but sweet surprises for me. Just today Miles came running in the door from preschool announcing he had a surprise for me. He pulled out from behind his back a heart shaped leaf. He told me he found it on the ground and picked it up for me because he loves me so much.
Oh how I love this sweet boy.