As adorable as Ryan is with his head full of hair, he has already gone through some pretty awkward hair phases in his first 6 months of life. I think (or maybe hope) the worst is over and he has come out of it a pretty handsome guy with great hair. Here is a little timeline to document the phases of Ryan's hair growth.
After his first bath we realized just how much hair he had. My favorite comment made by one of my friends was, "Look at that parted hair, he's ready to go on a mission!"
In a matter of just a few weeks the hairs that hung over his ears started to get unruly and I gave Ryan his first haircut trimming up the sides of his hair. I cut off enough that I was able to keep several locks of his baby hair.
| 2 weeks old |
That's much better.
| 3 weeks old |
His hair is straight, straight, straight, but this is what 80% humidity in Omaha would do to it.
His hair continued to grow....
| 3 weeks |
and grow...
| 2 months |
and grow...
| 2.5 months |
Until I broke down and gave him another haircut, trimming several inches off the top this time. It helped a little...
| 3 months |
...until he got more active and rubbed all the hair off the back and sides of his head. This left a mullet around his neck in the back and what looked like a baby toupe' on top.

It was obvious we needed to do something so we enlisted the help of our neighbor, Jill, who cuts hair. I couldn't bare the thought of him loosing his trademark hair so I gave her the instructions to take off the mullet around his neck, even up the sides, but leave the length on top. He ended up with a haircut that slightly resembled a bowl haircut, but he pulled it off and still looked cute.
| 3.5 months |
and even a little stylish when styled right.
| 3.5 months |
But the hair continued to grow.
| 4 months |
And finally at 4.5 months the ridiculousness of Ryan's hair finally outweighed my emotional attachment to it and we took him back to Jill's for a full haircut this time.
It looks so much better and I find myself wondering why I didn't do it sooner.
| Before/After |
Everyone still comments on how much hair he has and he's even blonder now.
| 6 months |
And by the looks of things his hair is still growing and will need another trim before we know it.
Now we'll just have to see if he can hang on to it until he's 30.