My Three White Dresses
My mom bought me a white dress, Not red or pink or blue.
She said it was a special dress Like very other few.
There has been just one before, A dress now put away,
That I wore some time ago Upon my blessing day.
As a little baby clothed In my first white dress,
My dad held me in his arms, There to name and bless.
So pure and clean was I just then, With time to grow and learn
About the Father's plan for me. My glory I must earn.
Now I've reached the age to judge The wrong road from the right,
And I am here to be baptized In this dress of white.
So once again I'm free from sin. The path is clear to me.
I'll grasp the rod and hold on tight, I vow with certainty.
Just as mud would stain my dress, Sin would stain my soul.
The key is to repent or bleach, For whiteness is my goal.
And if I try my very best, Then richly blessed I'll be,
Wearing inside God's holy house White dress number three.
So today I make this pledge: I'll strive to choose the right,
Through this sacred baptism ordinance In my second dress of white.
This poem written by Elder Perry's daughter, Linda Perry Nelson, is one that I have loved since having daughters. Picking out a dress for Ellie's blessing was very important to me because I knew in my heart it was the only white dress she would ever have. At the time I felt that way because I wasn't sure if Ellie would ever have the capacity or ability to choose to be baptized and knew she would never go through the temple or get married. Little did I know that a year later Ellie would in fact have another white dress - her burial dress.
As Brynn's baptism approached, picking out her second white dress was very important and special to me. While looking for the perfect dress, Brynn had just one request. She wanted a dress to match Ellie's burial dress. With a little searching and a few alterations (adding sleeves), we came up with the right dress. We added the left over ribbon from Ellie's dress and it was perfect!! My heart could burst knowing that my girls are matching in their white dresses.
Brynn's baptism was about so much more than a dress, but it served as the perfect reminder of the importance of this step Brynn took toward returning to our Heavenly Father where Ellie will be waiting for us.
I shared this poem with Brynn and she loves the idea of her three white dresses just as much as I do. Brynn helped me create a collage frame that contained this poem, Ellie in her blessing dress, Brynn in her baptism dress, and me in my wedding dress, and the Mt Timpanogas Temple where Brynn wants to get married one day. Brynn has asked to hang it in her room and I hope it will serve as a reminder of this special day and what she is striving and preparing for.