Sunday, September 19, 2010

Top of Utah

I did it! I completed my first full marathon and LOVED it! This has been on my life list of things to accomplish for a long time and I decided even though I had no one to do it with and I wasn't able to commit myself entirely to my training program, now was the time to do it. I struggled getting my long runs in due to time constraints so my longest training run was only 14 miles, which anyone who has trained for a marathon knows is not even close to the 18-22 miles most training programs suggest. I also have been battling a bit of runner's knee and a sore hamstring along the way which inhibited my training a bit. I was a little nervous going into it because I wasn't sure if I was physically prepared, but I knew my determination could get me through. So I really didn't make any goals as far as time or performance, just to finish. Scott and I drove up to Logan Friday night and witnessed the whole city overtaken by runners. It was fun to be a part of it. Saturday was a beautiful day, perfect for running. As I started the race I just found a comfortable pace, turned up my music, and enjoyed the most beautiful run down a canyon full of changing colors. Scott met me throughout the race dressed in his running gear ready to jump in with me if I was struggling, but I felt great. I told him I was good to go at mile 21 and he said he'd see me at the finish. Then I hit mile 22. I still felt great conditioning and energy wise, but my joints started screaming at me, starting with my hips and lower back and then moving to my knees and ankles. My pace slowed from 8:30 minute miles to almost 10 minute miles for the last 4 miles. I was still able to finish with an offical time of 3:58:36 and was thrilled to have finished under 4 hours. I really enjoyed the entire thing, even those last few miles weren't too bad. I don't know what it is about running, but it is like a drug to me. I get the biggest high from it. I will definitely be doing more marathons in the future and would definitely recommend the Top of Utah Marathon for anyone looking to do one. It was a great course.