Friday, October 22, 2010

Earth to Mason

These days Mason spends most of his time in his own world. His imagination NEVER shuts off. He often transforms into a character and dedicates himself entirely to the role. If I accidental call him Mason he will either A) completely ignore me (this happens most of the time) or B) whisper, "Mom, call me Cat in the Hat" (or whoever else he is at the time) and wait until I correct myself to respond. He doesn't always become the character himself, sometimes he just enters their world. I overhear scenes like this frequently when he's playing with his toys:
Mason: Toothless, do you want to come have a sleepover at my house.
"Toothless": Let me ask my mom. Mom, can I sleep over at Mason's house.
She said yes.
Mason: Okay, come with me. Let's go fishing first. Do you like fish?
"Toothless": I love fish! ummmm, those are Deeeelicious
And on and on. Don't think that the rest of us get to be innocent bystanders, Mason assigns everyone down to Brynn a role and asks us to play along.
I, myself, am not a very creative person so I am very fascinated watching his creativity flow. I love this phase and always want to remember the hours we've spent playing Cat in the Hat with Mason as the Cat, me as Nick, and Brynn as Sally chasing Thing 1 and Thing 2 around the neighborhood and many other adventures.