Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mr. Grinch

It's been several months now that Mason has been on a Dr Seuss kick. Every trip to the library fills our bookshelves with these classic titles. So as Christmas season approached I added How the Grinch Stole Christmas to our pile. From the first time I read it, Mason has been hooked. Mason's favorite (my not so favorite) thing to play is "the Grinch", which consists of emptying all the toy bins into bags and putting them in a box sled and pulling them to the top of Mount Crumpit, better known as our lovesac. The funny thing is he prefers his Grinch to be the nice Grinch and so he just pretends the Whos didn't want their presents and gave them to the Grinch. We did have a little incident at preschool where Mason turned into the Grinch. He had a complete meltdown over something small and as his teacher was trying to calm him down he kept yelling, "I'm just going to be the Grinch!" His outburst merited a call home from the teacher and I wasn't very happy about it, but in his defense he did start throwing up just a couple hours after he got home, poor guy wasn't feeling well and couldn't cope. Anyway, I was thrilled to find out with the help of friends that there was a Grinch and Max the dog/reindeer toys for super cheap at Kohls. One day when the kids were being sweet, I just put them in the car and wouldn't tell them where we were going. We drove to Kohls and as we were walking in Mason started asking, "Mom what do we need to get...". He trailed off mid-sentence as he saw the Grinch display set up right inside the doors. He ran over and grabbed a grinch then turned to me with a look on his face that showed he was ready to start begging when I said, "we came to get you a Grinch and Brynn a Max". He was speechless, I think he might have actually started to protest thinking I was telling him no and then registered what I had said. He was a pretty happy guy, and Brynn liked her doggie, too. The Grinch didn't leave his side for several days.
A little side note, Mason was playing playdoh during the First Presidency Christmas Devotional when he heard President Uchdorf reciting parts of How the Grinch Stole Christmas. It sure got his attention! Now he tells me, "President Monson likes How the Grinch Stole Christmas, too." Priceless.