Sunday, June 5, 2016
Origami Master
It's been a while since I have written a post about just Mason. The rule 'If you don't have something kind to say don't say anything at all' might have something to do with that, but I can't let his latest obsession pass without documenting it. It all started about six months ago when Mason's friend, Jenson, started showing him how to do origami on the bus. Mason was fascinated by it and wanted to learn how to do origami, too. This sounds innocent enough until you understand that Jenson had been doing origami for a long time and was making very intricate and impressive things. Mason was not interested in starting at a beginner's level but wanted to jump right in with some very complex models. The first few weeks I was ready to ban Origami from my house all-together since I was spending my entire afternoon trying to help Mason with difficult folds and diffusing his blow ups when he couldn't get something right. The words Origami and Jeremy Shafer (Mason's favorite youtube origamist) became swear words to me. Now that Mason has started getting the hang of things and become more calm and independent in working through tutorials, it has become a great little hobby for him. We now have our very own origami master at our house.