Monday, May 10, 2010
Polar Express Party
Mason really wanted a Polar Express birthday party, but I wasn't so sure about having a Christmas themed party in April. I got him to settle for his second choice,Dinosaur Train, for his friend party if I would make him a polar express cake for the Murray family party. This party was a joint celebration for Mason, Jessica, and Josh who were good sports to celebrate their 13th birthday polar express style. It wasn't anything fancy, after dinner the kiddos all changed into their pajamas and got their polar express tickets. Mason helped punch everyone's tickets as they came aboard the train. The kids all had cake, icecream, and chocolate milk in mugs while we listened to the polar express soundtrack. Pretty simple, but the kids all had a really fun time. Wouldn't you know I would leave our camera home so thanks to Janessa for snaping some pictures for me.
Quick story to explain the ugly cake. I quickly decorated the cake Sunday after church while Brynn was napping and Scott and Mason were playing downstairs. It didn't take as much time as I planned so I decided to go sneek a quick nap before we had to leave for the party. Mason wanted to come and see what I was doing and Scott didn't know I was laying down so he just sent Mason up. On his way to find me he found the cake on the counter and proceeded to lick all the frosting off the cake. I woke up and came out to find my birthday boy's face, hands, and shirt covered in black frosting and a bare cake. I can only blame myself since I had let him have at his dinosaur train cake remains after the party and I hadn't set new limits with this cake yet. I barely had any frosting left and only about 10 minutes until we needed to leave so I slapped some frosting on and called it good. Not my finest work, but a memory none-the-less. 

Kenzi gave Mason this great lego train she made just for him. He loved it! Some of the other kiddos felt bad they hadn't made Mason a present so they ran downstair and started wrapping up some of their old toys. Mason must have opened 15 presents....they just kept coming up with more. The best part was when he opened a toy robot from Austin and from across the room Kenzi exclaimed, "Hey, that's my favorite toy!" We of course didn't take all the toys home, but it was so cute to watch the kids so excited to give Mason gifts. It's always so fun to celebrate birthdays with family.