Thursday, December 31, 2015

Basketball Clothes

September 10, 2015

When Miles was 10 months old we dressed him up as a basketball player for Halloween. Little did I know that this "costume" would eventually become Miles signature style. For over a year now Miles has spent nearly every single day in what he refers to as "Basketball Clothes", which preferably consists of a basketball jersey and basketball shorts. First thing I hear each morning is the sound of his drawers sliding open and then banging shut as he picks out which jersey to wear. A few minutes later Miles enters my room and proudly announces, "I have my basketball clothes on!" (more often than not they are inside out and/or backwards). His drawer is full of all kinds of shirts (all hand me downs from Mason because I'm not crazy enough to spend money on clothes I know I will never get him to wear), but if there are no clean jerseys then he fishes through the hamper until he finds one. The freezing cold, winter months didn't change his routine. I considered it a huge success if I was able to negotiate him into his BYU sweatshirt before leaving the house and it was nothing short of a miracle if I managed to get him into a pair of sweat pants that never stayed on more than 30 seconds after returning home. It was a huge relief when spring rolled around and the days warmed up enough that I didn't look and feel like a negligent parent all the time.
While out school shopping last month we stopped by the Nike Outlet to pick out some new shoes for the kids. While there Miles found a pair of basketball shoes in the clearance section and thank goodness they were his size because the moment he laid eyes on them it was clear his life would never be complete without them. As we were checking out the cashier said, "Wow, you all are getting new shoes today?" and Miles informed him, "Yeah, mine are the Awesome ones!" The next few days were full of non-stop running and jumping as he showed every person he came in contact with the powers of his "Cool New Basketball Shoes".