Thursday, December 31, 2015

Labor Day in Utah

My mom has decided that she would like for all the Hale cousins to be there to support one another on their baptism days. She started by bringing Cannon, Kennedy and Rachel out to Omaha for Mason's baptism in May. So when it was Kennedy's turn to be baptized over Labor Day weekend my mom offered to fly us out for a quick visit for her baptism. It was the same weekend as the big BYU football game in Nebraska that Scott and Mason had been looking forward to since we moved out to Nebraska, so they opted to stay home for that. Miles, Brynn, and I, however, were excited to take a quick trip back to Utah.
The kids were great on the flight. They sat together and I sat across the isle. Brynn was happy to take care of Miles and informed me she wanted to take care of everything, including getting their drinks, all by herself. They read books, played games, and took turns looking out the window while I kicked back and relaxed. Miles was amazed when we landed in Utah just 2 hours after taking off. He informed me that we should always fly to Utah on an airplane because it is MUCH faster than driving all day. I wish buddy, I wish.
We started off the trip with the highlight event of Kennedy's baptism. I am so grateful for the great example she has set for Brynn and Miles and love seeing them get excited for their own baptism day. Fortunately, Vance and Lisa were finishing up their own trip to Utah and so Miles and I were able to meet up with them and their cute kiddos at Thanksgiving Point Farm Country. It was fun getting to spend time with our cousins we don't see very often. That evening we all watched the BYU vs Nebraska football game at Chris' house. We had recorded the game and were watching it slightly delayed. As luck would have it the recording ran out right as BYU snapped the ball in the final seconds to go for a hail mary. Scott had already text me and told me how it ended so I laughed as the boys all scrambled to look up the final play online to find out how it ended.
On Sunday we went up to Salt Lake where my cousin Amy Mero's baby, Van, was being blessed. While we were up there we decided to take a stroll around temple square. It is things like this that I took for granted all my life living in Utah and appreciate so much more now that I live far away.
On Monday morning we hiked the Y with Brandon and Whitney's family. I was proud of the kiddos for making it all the way.
When it came time to fly home later that day Miles was extremely tired and in a less than cooperative mood. He refused to walk through the airport but when I refused to carry him because I had my arms full he just held onto my suitcase and had me pull him through the airport. We got a whole lot of laughs and stares as we made our way to our gate. I was tempted to put him in our odd seat next to a stranger and tell them good luck, but as soon as we got on the plane he curled up with his Uh Oh and went to sleep for the whole flight. 
It was a whirlwind of a weekend, but we enjoyed every second of it.


Kennedy's Baptism

Miles, Lauren, and Lincoln

Temple Square

Cousins
Hiking the Y