Thursday, December 31, 2015

Utah Summer: Kids Triathlon


Over the years as I have competed in triathlons I have dreamed of the day when my kids would be old enough to join me in doing something that I love. So when Mason and Brynn asked me if they could do a triathlon, I was pretty excited. As I was looking for races I found the Layton kids triathlon which consisted of a 100 yard swim, 1 mile bike, and 1/2 mile run. As luck would have it, the race was taking place while we were in Utah. It turned out to be such a great event that was very kid friendly. I was one proud mama as I watched Mason and Brynn compete in their first triathlon.
Mason finished in 17:49.4 placing 10th out of 17 in the 7-8 boys division and 24th overall. He pushed himself hard enough to make himself sick (had to take a break for a minute or two on the run when he almost lost his lunch) but I am so proud of his desire to work hard and do challenging things.
Brynn asked Grandma Nancy to do the race with her so she wouldn't be nervous. Brynn finished in 18:02.4 placing 3rd in the 6 and under division and 28th overall. The best part was the huge grin plastered on her face the entire time. In the middle of the bike she asked, "Can we do this every year?!" I definitely see more races in their future!