Thursday, December 31, 2015

Broken Arm

September 15, 2015


It was one of those crazy evenings when even if everything went smoothly we would have be lucky to get everyone where they needed to be when they needed to be there. So of course, nothing went according to plan at all. Scott got stuck at work later than expected and wasn't going to make it home in time to take Mason to football practice as planned. So I dropped Mason off at practice and then hustled to get Brynn across town in time for her soccer game. Right as her game was starting I got a call from Scott saying that he had arrived at Mason's practice to find Mason hurt on the sideline. The coach reported that Mason had fallen funny on his arm and may have broken it. After checking it out himself, Scott felt fairly certain that Mason had in fact broken his arm. The problem was that Scott needed to leave right then for a big combined cub scout activity that he was in charge of and I was stuck at Brynn's soccer game where I was committed to give a friend a ride home after the game. With no one to call on for help, the best solution we could come up with was for Scott to drop Mason off at home, give him a dose of tylenol and ice, and run to the scout activity without him. Mason was a champ and stayed put with a broken arm until I got home from Brynn's soccer game an hour later. By that point the pain meds had kicked in and as long as he didn't move his arm he was okay. So being the awesome mom I am, I made him wait until Scott got home to take him to the ER so I wouldn't have to drag all the tired kids along with me.
We eventually made it to the ER where we were able to wait some more before getting an x-ray which confirmed that Mason had a radial buckle fracture. Buckle fractures are the most common type of fracture in kids. A buckle fracture is when the bone bends, but doesn't break all the way through. Because it isn't broken all the way through it doesn't have to be set and research has shown that putting it in a splint cast is just as effective, but much more convenient, than a hard cast. So Mason was fit for his splint and off we went.
Mason was thrilled that his dream of having a cast had finally come true. His excitement lasted for a day or two as he ate up all the extra attention a newly broken arm brought with it. Pretty soon the novelty wore off and not being able to participate in some of his favorite things at recess and extra curricular activities got old. He was grateful when 6 weeks passed, the cast came off, and his arm was good as new.
And just like that we have our first broken bone behind us.